Glacier Lagoon & Blue Ice Cave Tour
Please notice due to COVID the Hovercraft tours will not be running the winter 2021/2022
2-Days in the beautiful Vatnajökull surrounding
On this tour, we will explore one of the most visited attractions in the area, but with a much cooler way. The tours are centered in Vatnajökull National Park, on Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and Ice Cave in Breiðamerkurjökull.
The activities are divided into two days as it is not possible to do both activities in one day. When booking you can choose which activity you do which day.
On the Blue Ice Cave Adventure Tour, you will experience natural unique ice caves in the wonders of Vatnajökull glacier. Ice Cave Adventure tour is a medium-hard level, it can take between 4-6 hours. We spend a good amount of time in the ice cave. Driving to the location can take 25 – 30 minutes and the walk to the ice cave/glacier can take 40 minutes. You should have in mind that the walking on this tour is always in the pure Icelandic nature, on gravel, rough terrain and sometimes on a glacier. Here is a detailed description of the Blue Ice Cave tour.
The age limit is 16 years old.
The newest activity in the area is the super exciting Hovercraft tours, with our local friends from IceHover, on the beautiful Glacier Lagoon – Jökulsárlón. Enjoy the smooth, safe sailing with an experienced and professional local pilot. Nowhere else in Iceland is this experience available! The Hovercraft tour is easy, from the meeting point it takes 15 minutes to drive where the Hovercraft tour starts. The hovercraft ride takes about 45-60 minutes but the whole tour takes about 1,5-2 hours. The tour is operated by Icehover and the meeting point is at Hali Country Hotel.
Both tours start from Hali, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón.Read More
During both trips, we recommend wearing warm clothing, warm layers, a jacket, warm socks, boots, woolly hat, and gloves.
Please note! We will not be the only group visiting the ice cave. This has become an incredibly popular winter activity in Iceland. Other tour companies bring guests to visit the cave which can cause it to be crowded. Please expect to share the cave with additional groups.
You might be lucky if the sky is clear and then it is more likely that you can see the northern light after the tour. In Iceland, you are able to see the northern lights for around eight months a year from late August until late April. Winter season is definitely the most common time to see the northern lights in Iceland. It is really nice to go watch the northern lights at the Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón and the Diamond beach, which is only 15 minutes away from our meeting point. Here you can read more about the Diamond beach at Jökulsárlón, Glacier Lagoon.
- Availability: 9:00, 9:45, *10:30
- Meeting point: Glacier Adventure at Hali
- About 15 minutes drive from Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón
- Level: Medium/Hard
- Duration: 5-6 hours
- Group max: 8 people
- Age Limit: 16-Year-Old
– Woolen socks
– Good waterproof hiking boots, high with good ankle support (can be rented from us)
– Base layer- wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Light and comfortable hiking trousers softshell for example (no jeans!)
– Wind and waterproof trousers
– Full sleeve base layer wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Thin fleece or similar
– Thick warm fleece, or puffy jacket down or synthetic, or just a nice warm jacket.
– Wind and waterproof jacket.
– Gloves. It´s good to have two pairs.
– Warm hat/beanie that might work under a helmet.
Note: beaine’s with pompom are not recommended since the pompom does not go
under the helmet.
– Buff or balaclava or neck gaiter.
– Backpack 28-40 L, that can room your equipment, camera food and drink for the day.
– Food for 6 hours tour
– 1-2 sandwiches depending on how much you need.
– 700 ml – 1 L of water or something else you like to drink (non alcoholic).
– Some energy rich and light food like 2-3 chocolate bars or something similar.
Ice Cave Tour
– Helmet, crampons, and headlamp if needed
– Guided tour with a local guide
– Life jackets
– Headsets to use onboard
– Guided tour with a local guide
Good to have in mind
Be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time
- Glacier Adventure can´t guarantee to be the only tour company visiting the ice cave during our tour.
- Driving in Iceland in the winter time can take much longer than during the summer. We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a tour. Here you can find accommodation suggestion.
- You can find useful information about the weather at www.vedur.is and the road conditions at www.road.is
- You can contact us via our WhatsApp: +354 894-5665
View photos of the tour
What are people saying
A must do!
View reviews on TripadvisorGlacier Adventures tours allows you to visit some of Iceland’s most stunning placesJim Cook