Glacier Tour Insight
This unique combo tour allows you to experience the wonders of Vatnajökull National Park recommended for everyone that wants to see & experience the glacier from different points of view.
Embark on a Kayaking Adventure at Heinabergslón Glacier Lagoon located off the beaten path and go on a glacier walk a Breiðarmerkurjökull Glacier an outlet glacier from Vatnajökull.
The tours are led by local and professional guides to give you a safe and unforgettable experience in the breathtaking Vatnajökull region. The tours start in two separate locations, you will need to drive between locations.
- Season: May - September
- Difficulty: Easy Moderate
- Start time: 9:00 AM
- Duration: Glacier Walk - 4 hours
- Duration: Kayak tour - 4 hours
- Area: Vatnajökull and Heinabergslón
- Type: Glacier Walk Tour and Kayak Tour
- Meeting point: Glacier Walk - Glacier Adventure BC
- Meeting point: Kayak Tour - Smyrlabjörg Hotel
- Age limit: 14
- Group size: 12
- Tags: Glacier
This glacier tour is provided by two local families. The Glacier Walk tour starts at Glacier Adventure base camp in Hali. The Kayak tour Heinabergslón, just 10 min drive vest from Hali.
If you book the 09:00 AM Combo Tour you will be booked at 09:00 AM on the Vatnajökull Glacier Walk with Glacier Adventure and 14:00 Heinabergslón Kayaking Tour with IceGuide
If you book the 14:00 PM Combo Tour, you will be booked on the 09:00 AM Glacier Lagoon Kayaking Tour with IceGuide and 14:00 on the Vatnajökull Glacier Walk with Glacier Adventure.
Vatnajökull Glacier Walk
Our certified and experienced glacier guides will take you on an unforgettable journey to Breiðarmerkurjökull glacier, an outlet glacier from Vatnajökull, located off the beaten path and away from the tourist crowds.
Once you step onto the ice it will feel like you are located on an icy planet. You will see crevasses, small caves or tunnels as well as little waterfalls and streams and other beautiful ice features. During the tour, you will get the chance to learn about the glacier, its history, how it was formed, how it affects our community, and how it continues to change and shape every day.
The duration of the glacier tour is approx 4 hours including preparation and drive (1,5 hours on the glacier).
Glacier kayaking is the ultimate way to experience the magnificence of the world famous Vatnajökull National Park. Join us in an unforgettable trip and enjoy unbeatable panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers and their reflection in the mirror like water of the Heinaberg Lagoon. During the tour we step on one of the icebergs and take a short walk, overlooking the lagoon and surrounding area. Heinabergslón is “out of the beaten path”.
This is the perfect tour for those who want to be environmentally friendly while exploring nature.
The Kayaks are SIT-ON-TOP boats, very stable and are suitable for first time kayakers. In the tours we use tandem kayaks (boat for two persons) for their safety, easy handling and stability. We also have single kayaks only in case of single travellers and/or odd number bookings. When booking, you select number of passengers, not boat or boat type. The type of boats will be chosen on spot accordingly by your guide, not upon request.
The tour takes 3.5 hours in total, with approx. 2 hours on the boat.
All glacier trips are taken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not take responsibility for accidents which are caused by their customers or can be traced to their own actions.
GLACIER WALK MEETING POINT: Our meeting point is located at our Glacier Adventure Base Camp, just a few steps away from Hali Country Hotel. We are located 13 km east of the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and 67 km west of Höfn.
You will find the Glacier Adventure meeting point on Google Maps here
KAYAK TOUR MEETING POINT is located by Smyrlabjörg Country Hotel. You will find the Iceguide meeting point on Google Maps here
Disclaimer: Driving in Iceland can be unpredictable. We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a morning tour. Here you can find accommodation suggestion.
Included in the Glacier Walk Tour:
- Ice axe
Included in the Kayak Tour:
- Kayak & Kayak paddle
- Dry suit
- Safety vest
No matter where you’re going in Iceland, it’s important to choose the right clothing and dress according to weather. We strongly recommend dressing in layers so it is easy to take off or put on layers depending on weather.
- Good waterproof shoes with ankle support (hiking boots )
- Thermal underwear
- Wool/fleece thermal mid-layer
- Hiking pants.
- Waterproof pants & jacket
- Gloves & hat
- Socks (wool or synthetic)
- Small backpack
- Reusable Water-bottle
- Food or Snack for a 6 hour tour (sandwich, chocolate bar, etc.)
- Camera (optional)
You can rent the following items for the Glacier Walk:
- Hiking boots 1000 ISK
- Rain gear 1000 ISK
Glacier Adventure reserves the rights to refuse participation of clients if not dressed according to weather since this will put the clients at risk. In such circumstances no refunds shall be given.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to always keep a 5% payment fee to cover costs for the booking & rescheduling.
- If you must reschedule or cancel the booking, please provide us with 24-hour notice. This way we might be able to resell the seats.
- Cancellations received less than 24 hours before tour departure, will not be refunded. This includes bookings made within 24 hours before departure.
- If clients cancel their tour more than 24 hours before departure, a 95% refund will be given.
- “No Shows” will not be refunded if the client is not on time before the tour departure.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to cancel your trip with your safety in mind.
- With short notice, the tours can be canceled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions. In such cases, a 100% refund is provided.
Note: We don’t refund if the client is late or doesn’t show up, or if the weather is not good and the tour is still on schedule. We recommend that participants stay in a hotel or guesthouse close to Hali the night before the tour.