Your adventure awaits
Embark on an exhilarating scenic helicopter ride over the magical Vatnajökull National Park, where you can get to know the glacier from above before seeing it from the inside, away from the crowds.
This tour is ideal for photographers and those who are looking for more secluded ice caves in Iceland.
- Season: November - March
- Difficulty: Easy
- Start time: 10:30 and 13:00
- Duration: 2 hours
- Area: Vatnajökull National Park
- Type: Helicopter & Ice Cave Tour
- Meeting point: Skaftafell Terminal
- Age limit: 16 year old
- Group size: 4
- Tags: Glacier, Ice cave tour, Ice cave tour combo
This ice cave tour is provided by our friends at Ice Guide.
On arrival at Skaftafell Terminal we’ll be ready to greet you at our reception, your pilot and professional glacier guide will then go over the flight route and perform a safety briefing before we head out to the helicopter.
We then embark on an exhilarating scenic helicopter ride from our airfield over the sprawling glacier, so you can get to know it from above before seeing it from the inside. No need for a grueling hike to reach the glacier, simply sit back in comfort and take in the stunning views as the helicopter does the work. Our destination is Skeiðarárjökull glacier, part of Europe’s biggest glacier Vatnajökull. Upon landing, we will deboard and take a short walk from our landing spot to the mouth of our glacier ice cave.
The cave opening leads us into the glacier tunnel, where we can easily stand upright as your guide takes you further along the frozen corridor. The sparkling crystalline colors of sapphire blue are embossed with vivid shapes and patterns which look like icy scales. The serenity and sense of wonder while being inside the glacier is something hard to describe in words, although we’re trying our best. Once the ice cave expedition is over, the helicopter will bring you back to Skaftafell Terminal.
The duration of this tour is 90 minutes. The age limit is 14 year old.
All glacier trips are taken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not take responsibility for accidents which are caused by their customers or can be traced to their own actions.
- Pilot-guided helicopter tour with noise-canceling headsets during the helicopter ride.
- All necessary glacier gear such as helmet, crampons provided by Ice Guide.
- Free parking at Skaftafell Terminal – Tour Cente
What to bring?
- Base layer (shirt and long johns) synthetic or wool, mid layer such as good sweater, wool or fleece.
- Mid layer such as fleece jacket, thick wool garment, prima-loft jacket or similar.
- Second mid layer can be added for colder days.
- Hiking pants, fleece or soft shell or similar.
- Waterproof breathable jacket like Gore-Tex jacket and pants or similar.
- Good thermal headwear and gloves.
- Socks, synthetic or wool.
- Good hiking boots are essential. The boots should be high enough to provide good ankle support.
- Regular street shoes or sneakers are not appropriate shoe wear for this trip!
ICE GUIDE HELICOPTER MEETING POINT is at Skaftafell Terminal – Tour Center, Öræfi 785
The glacier tour departs from Skaftafell Terminal, located right next to the national park. Please be sure to arrive 15 minutes prior to your booking. Bring a printed or digital copy of your voucher.
We kindly ask you to be at the meeting point on time. We recommend arriving at least 15 min before the scheduled departure time. Late arrivals unfortunately will miss out on their reservation and it will result in the cancellation of your booking and a full forfeiture of your booking fee.
Disclaimer: Notice that we do not recommend our participants to travel long distances same day as the tour takes place.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to always keep a 5% payment fee to cover costs for the booking & rescheduling.
- If you must reschedule or cancel the booking, please provide us with 24-hour notice. This way we might be able to resell the seats.
- Cancellations received less than 24 hours before tour departure, will not be refunded. This includes bookings made within 24 hours before departure.
- If clients cancel their tour more than 24 hours before departure, a 95% refund will be given.
- “No Shows” will not be refunded if the client is not on time before the tour departure.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to cancel your trip with your safety in mind.
- With short notice, the tours can be canceled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions. In such cases, a 100% refund is provided.
Note: We don’t refund if the client is late or doesn’t show up, or if the weather is not good and the tour is still on schedule. We recommend that participants stay in a hotel or guesthouse close to Hali the night before the tour.