Birdwatching and History Tour!
Cape Ingolfshofdi is an isolated headland on the south coast half way between Skaftafell and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon.
This historical nature reserve is home of thousands of nesting seabirds, like puffins and great skuas. The cape is named after the first settler of Iceland, Ingolfur Arnarson, who spent his first winter in Iceland there in the year 874 AD.
On this tour with our friends at From Coast to Mountain, you have a 99% change of seeing puffins!
- Season: May - August
- Difficulty: Easy Easy to Moderate Moderate
- Start time: 10:15 AM and 13:30 PM
- Duration: 2,5 - 3 hours
- Area: Ingólfshöfði cape
- Type: Puffin tour
- Meeting point: Ingólfshöfði check in Hut
- Age limit: 6
- Group size: 30
- Tags: Family friendly, Puffin Tour
This puffin tour is operated by our friends From Coast to Mountain.
To get to Ingólfshöfði we cross 7 km of waters, marshes, and sands in a tractor-drawn hay cart. The drive takes about 30 minutes each way, and then we spend about 1 1/2 hour hiking around the cape. The tractor driver from the nearby farm becomes the tour guide, tells stories and explains the birdlife, and leads the guests safely through the nesting grounds on the cape.
The circle we hike around the nature reserve is 2-3 km long. In the beginning we need to walk up a steep sand slope, and then through rocky terrain, but then it gets easier, mostly hiking on flat grassland and we make many stops along the way.
We don’t recommend that people participate in this trip unless they can do this hike. When booking the tour with young children we recommend bringing a Baby Carrier.
Please arrive 15 minutes before departure. Duration is 2,5 hours ( 2-3 km hike). No tours on Sundays. The age limit is 6 years old.
All tours are taken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not take responsibility for accidents which are caused by their customers or can be traced to their own actions.
Included in the tour!
- Tractor-drawn hay cart ride
- Guided walk
- Bird watching
What to bring!
Be careful to bring good outdoor clothing for this trip, the area is exposed to winds and rain, and sometimes sand storms. Perfect trip to try out your gore-tex outfit and gloves and hats, but on the other hand, sometimes it is possible to wear shorts and t-shirts on the trip. The Icelandic weather is included in the Ingólfshöfði Puffin Tour 🙂
INGOLFSHÖFÐI PUFFIN TOUR is located 2 km south of main road, 30 minute drive east of Skaftafell and 30 minute drive west of Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon. The road is between farms Hofsnes and Fagurhólsmýri and is marked “Ingólfshöfði 2 km”. You will find the meeting point on Google Maps here
The Puffin tour is operated by our local friends at From Coast to Mountains. If you need to contact them
Tel: +354 8940894 – www.fromcoasttomountains.com – [email protected]
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to always keep a 5% payment fee to cover costs for the booking & rescheduling.
- If you must reschedule or cancel the booking, please provide us with 24-hour notice. This way we might be able to resell the seats.
- Cancellations received less than 24 hours before tour departure, will not be refunded. This includes bookings made within 24 hours before departure.
- If clients cancel their tour more than 24 hours before departure, a 95% refund will be given.
- “No Shows” will not be refunded if the client is not on time before the tour departure.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to cancel your trip with your safety in mind.
- With short notice, the tours can be canceled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions. In such cases, a 100% refund is provided.
Note: We don’t refund if the client is late or doesn’t show up, or if the weather is not good and the tour is still on schedule. We recommend that participants stay in a hotel or guesthouse close to Hali the night before the tour.