Ice Cave tour in Vatnajökull
Includes Super Jeep ride with a glacier trained local
In this ice cave tour you will experience natural unique ice caves in the wonders of Vatnajökull glacier, Europe’s largest ice cap. The tour is intended for those who want to visit an ice cave, get great photo opportunities and an unforgettable experience.
The tour can take between 2,5 – 3,5 hours. The meeting point is at Hali Country Hotel, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón (www.hali.is). The tour, guided by a local guide from Hali, will take you through the region’s history from settlement until today.Read More
Each autumn, Glacier Adventure goes for an ice cave hunt to use for adventures during the coming winter. Ice caves are formed by Mother Nature and therefore weather dependent. Some caves have to have temperature below zero, or no rainy days before our visit.
In this tour we visit one ice cave and we always choose the best cave available according to safety and weather condition. This will affect both driving and walking time of the tour. Driving to the location can take 25-45 minutes and the walk to the ice cave can take from 5 to 60 minutes. You should have in mind that the walking is always in the pure Icelandic nature on gravel and rough terrain.
- Availability: 9:30, 10:00, 13:00, 13:30, 16:00
- Meeting point: Hali Country Hotel reception
- Area: South East Iceland
- Level: Easy/Medium
- Duration: 2,5 - 3,5 hours
- Group max: 20 people
- RENTED EQUIPMENT
- - Rain gear 1000,- ISK
- - Mountain boots 1000,- ISK
- - Helmet, crampons and headlamp if needed
- - Guided tour with a local
- NEEDED EQUIPMENT
- - Hiking boots
- - Good clothing based on weather. 3 layers on top: base layer, light sweater like fleece and water or windproof top. Light warm pants and waterproof if needed.
- - Thin hat and gloves
Tell Your Friends
What are people saying
A must do!
View reviews on TripadvisorOne of the highlight of the trip… Fantastic experience!Lauren
Good to have in mind
- Be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time
- Glacier Adventure can´t guarantee to be the only tour company visiting the ice cave during our tour.
- Driving in Iceland in the winter time can take much longer than during the summer. We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a tour. Here you can find accommodation suggestion.
- You can find useful information about the weather at www.vedur.is and the road conditions at www.vegagerdin.is
Ice Cave tours are weather dependent. Sometimes Ice Cave tours get cancelled with short notice due to safety or weather reasons. After a heavy rain previous days before the tour, the cave sometimes get´s full of water. It can also be too warm for us to enter the caves, the ice can be unstable and not safe to go under. If that happens, we usually have other options if the weather allows, Super Jeep and Glacier Explore, where we drive to the glacier edge and explore the glacier tongue with many amazing picture moments. You can read about the tour here. This tour we offer for a lower price. If you don´t want to take the Jeep tour we can also give you a 100% refund.
Please note we can’t guarantee to be the only group visiting the ice cave. This has become incredibly popular winter activity in Iceland. Other tour companies bring guests to visit the cave which can cause it to be crowded. Please expect to share the cave with additional groups.
For photographers, we recommend this tour
Disclaimer: Glacier trips are undertaken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by it´s customers or can be traced to their own actions.
View photos of the tour
WE ARE AUTHORIZED TOUR OPERATOR
Glacier Adventure has a licence provided by Icelandic tourist board to function as a tour operator.