Blue Ice Cave Adventure
Includes Super Jeep ride with a glacier trained local guide
COMBO TOUR ICE CAVE & GLACIER HIKE
In this tour, you will hike on the glacier, go into ice tunnels, moulins and visit our Blue Ice Cave. The ice tunnels and moulins are difficult to access and therefore we offer it as a more quiet and personal tour for our participants. We have max 8 persons in each group and the age limit is 16 years old.
This Ice Cave Expedition starts at our base camp in Hali where you will be briefed by your fully certified glacier guide and provided specialized fixed rope equipment and crampons (foot spikes), allowing us to explore the depths of Breiðamerkurjökull, our destination for the day. From Hali, we board our 4×4 super jeep and head onto the glacial outwash plain by following an old farming road called “Þröng”. Here you will begin to see the majestic ice-covered volcano, Öræfajökull as well as Breiðamerkurjökull.
Our guides decide if it’s safe enough to do the tour according to weather and safety conditions. If we cancel the tour due to weather or safety conditions it is refundable. The ice cave tour can take between 5 – 6 hours. The meeting point is at Glacier Adventure at Hali, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón. The tour is guided by a specialist in glaciers and ice caves. Driving to the location can take 25 – 30 minutes and the walk to the ice cave/glacier can take 40 minutes. You should have in mind that the hike on this tour is always in the pure Icelandic nature, on gravel, rough terrain, and on a glacier. Please note! We will not be the only group visiting the ice cave.
You can see the northern light after the tour. In Iceland, you are able to see the northern lights for around eight months a year from late August until late April. Winter season is definitely the most common time to see the northern lights in Iceland. It is really nice to go watch the northern lights at the Glacier Lagoon, which is only 15 minutes away from our meeting point.
Availability: 09:00, 9:45, 10:30* *in November, February & March.
Meeting point: Glacier Adventure at Hali
About 15 minutes drive from Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón
Area: Vatnajökull National Park in South East Iceland
Group max: 8 people
Duration: 5-6 hours
How much hiking can you expect during the tour
The hike is around 3 km one way to the cave. So in total, it is around 6 km during the trip. Part of it, around 2 km (4 km in total) can be on glaciated terrain were crampons and other glacier equipment is necessary. The other part is on rocky and sometimes uneven terrain. The terrain might be totally or partly covered with snow or slippery ice where the microspikes we give you come in handy.
It is not allowed to fly drones during the tour.
Appropriate footwear and suitable outdoor clothing must be worn at all times. Glacier Adventure reserves the rights to refuse participation if not correctly equipped since this will put the clients at risk. In case of refusal, refund will not be possible.
– Woolen socks
– Good waterproof hiking boots, high with good ankle support (can be rented from us)
– Base layer- wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Light and comfortable hiking trousers softshell for example (no jeans!)
– Wind and waterproof trousers
– Full sleeve base layer wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Thin fleece or similar
– Thick warm fleece, or puffy jacket down or synthetic, or just a nice warm jacket.
– Wind and waterproof jacket.
– Gloves. It´s good to have two pairs.
– Warm hat/beanie that might work under a helmet.
Note: beaine’s with pompom are not recommended since the pompom does not go
under the helmet.
– Buff or balaclava or neck gaiter.
– Backpack 28-40 L, that can room your equipment, camera food and drink for the day
and so on.
– Food for 6 hours tour
– 1-2 sandwiches depending on how much you need.
– 700 ml – 1 L of water or something else you like to drink (non alcoholic).
– Some energy rich and light food like 2-3 chocolate bars or something similar.
What you will get from us to carry with you. This is depending on conditions so some gear might be left behind.
– Climbing helmet and a headlamp (sometim)
– Crampons to walk on the glacier (if needed)
– Walking harness (if needed)
– Ice axe (if needed)
– Light weight rubber boots to be able to cross a small stream to go in the ice cave (if
– Micro spikes to walk on slippery rocky terrain (if needed)
– Small 22 l bag that can be put on the back to carry the rubber boots (if needed)
– One hiking pole.
-Some energy-rich food like chocolate or sandwich and water bottle- An extra layer of clothes.
– Camera, tripod, and batteries.
– Hand warmers
Good to know
- Be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time
- For this tour, the participants should be in good hiking condition
- Driving in Iceland in the winter time can take much longer than during the summer. We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a tour. Here you can find accommodation suggestion.
- You can find useful information about the weather at www.vedur.is and the road conditions at www.road.is
- You can contact us via our WhatsApp: +354 894-5665
Ice Cave tours are weather dependent. Sometimes Ice Cave tours get canceled with short notice due to safety or weather reasons. After a heavy rain previous days before the tour, the cave sometimes get´s full of water. It can also be too warm for us to enter the caves, the ice can be unstable and not safe to go under. If that happens, we usually have other options if the weather allows, Super Jeep and Glacier Explore, where we drive to the glacier edge and explore the glacier tongue with many amazing picture moments. You can read about the tour here. This tour we offer for a lower price. If you don´t want to take the Jeep tour we can also give you a 100% refund.
Disclaimer: All glacier trips are undertaken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
Photos from earlier Ice Caves (It´s an ever changing glacier and we find new ones every year)
Tell Your Friends[apss_share]
What are people saying
A perfect day in the ice caves!
View reviews on TripadvisorAn amazing experience! From start to finish, the entire tour experience was efficient, well organized, and incredibly enjoyable!Bailey B