Glacier Tour Insight
On this adventure tour, you will not only visit the Blue Ice Cave but also go on a hike on the glacier where you will get a the chance to explore ice tunnels, moulins and other beautiful ice features.
It is such a unique experience to be able to stand inside an ancient glacier and the picturesque blue ice will make you feel like you are in a fairytale.
- Season: September - April
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Duration: 5 - 6 hours
- Area: Vatnajökull Glacier
- Type: Ice Cave Tour
- Meeting point: Glacier Adventure Base Camp, Hali
- Age limit: 14 year old
- Group size: 8
- Tags: Glacier
The tour starts and ends at our cozy base camp at Hali, only 12km east of Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon.
At Hali you will be welcomed by the Glacier Adventure staff and provided with all the necessary glacier equipment you need for this tour. Hiking boots are available for rent if you don‘t have them with you.
From Hali base camp we will drive towards the glacier on our modified jeeps, for approx. 30-40 minutes. From the parking lot, we will walk towards the glacier in a lunar landscape that has been shaped through the years by the retrieving glacier, the walk takes approx. 30-40 minutes.
The total duration of the tour is between 5 and 6 hours, with 40-60 minutes inside the ice cave and 2 hours on the glacier. The difficulty of this tour is moderate. Minimum age is 14 years old.
Please note: We will not be the only group visiting the ice cave. This has become an incredibly popular winter activity in Iceland. Other tour companies bring guests to visit the cave which can cause it to be crowded. Please expect to share the cave with additional groups
All glacier trips are taken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not take responsibility for accidents which are caused by their customers or can be traced to their own actions.
Our meeting point is located at our Glacier Adventure Base Camp, just a few steps away from Hali Country Hotel. We are located 13 km east of the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and 67 km west of Höfn. Please be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time, so we can gear up.
You will find the Glacier Adventure meeting point on Google Maps here
Driving in the winter can take much longer than expected. We recommend you stay somewhere close to Hali the night before the tour. Here you can find accommodation suggestions.
Guided tour with a local guide. Our certified and experienced glacier guides take you on an unforgettable journey into the glacier. You will learn facts about the glacier and the history of the region.
Equiment: Crampons, harness, helmet, ice axe. Headlamp if needed.
At the base camp: Free parking, coffee and wifi
No matter where you’re going in Iceland, it’s important to choose the right clothing and dress according to weather. We strongly recommend dressing in layers so it is easy to take off or put on layers depending on weather.
- Good waterproof shoes with ankle support (hiking boots)
- Thermal underwear
- Wool/fleece thermal mid-layer
- Hiking pants.
- Waterproof pants & jacket
- Warm Gloves & hat
- Socks (wool or synthetic)
- Small backpack
- Reusable Water-bottle
- Food or Snack for a 6 hour tour (sandwich, chocolate bar, etc.)
- Camera (optional)
You can rent the following equipment before the tour:
- Hiking boots 1.000,- ISK
- Rain gear 1.000,- ISK
Glacier Adventure reserves the rights to refuse participation of clients if not dressed according to weather since this will put the clients at risk. In such circumstances no refunds shall be given.
Glacier Adventure offers a “book now pay later option” for people who find it difficult to invest in future travel plans or are having problems booking online. To book a tour send us an e-mail to [email protected] let us know which tour you would like to attend, what date, time, number of guests, and your phone nr. (incl. country code).
Pay for the tour on location when you arrive at our base camp at Hali.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to always keep a 5% payment fee to cover costs for the booking & rescheduling.
- If you must reschedule or cancel the booking, please provide us with 24-hour notice. This way we might be able to resell the seats.
- Cancellations received less than 24 hours before tour departure, will not be refunded. This includes bookings made within 24 hours before departure.
- If clients cancel their tour more than 24 hours before departure, a 95% refund will be given.
- “No Shows” will not be refunded if the client is not on time before the tour departure.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to cancel your trip with your safety in mind.
- With short notice, the tours can be canceled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions. In such cases, a 100% refund is provided.
Note: We don’t refund if the client is late or doesn’t show up, or if the weather is not good and the tour is still on schedule. We recommend that participants stay in a hotel or guesthouse close to Hali the night before the tour.