Glacier Tour Insight
This action filled combo tour allows you to experience the wonders of Vatnajökull National Park, recommended for everyone that wants to see & experience the glacier from different points of view.
Explore the natural blue Ice Caves of Vatnajökull, Europe’s largest Glacier and go on a thrilling snowmobile tour on top of the snow covered ice cap.
The tours are led by two local and professional companies to give you a safe and unforgettable experience in the breathtaking Vatnajökull region. The tours start in two separate locations and you will need to drive between locations.
- Season: March - April & October
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate Moderate
- Start time: 9:00
- Duration: Ice cave tour: 3 - 3,5 hours
- Duration: Snowmobile tour: 3 hours, 1 hour on the Snowmobile
- Area: Vatnajökull Glacier
- Type: Ice Cave Tour and Snowmobile Tour
- Meeting point: Ice cave tour: Glacier Adventure base camp
- Meeting point: Snowmobile tour: Vagnsstaðir Hostel
- Age limit: 10 year old
- Group size: 12
- Tags: Glacier
This glacier tour is provided by two locally owned companies. The Ice Cave Tour starts at Glacier Adventure base camp in Hali. The Snowmobile tour starts at Vagnsstaðir Hostel, just 10 min drive east from Hali.
You will be booked at 09:00 AM on the Crystal Ice Cave Adventure with Glacier Adventure and 14:00 PM Snowmobile Tour with Glacier Jeeps.
This combo tour is available March – April & October. Minimum age is 10 years old.
Crystal Ice Cave
Joining Glacier Adventure for an Ice Cave Tour you will get a personal experience from a local company. During this glacier tour, you will explore a natural Blue Ice Cave in Breiðarmerkurjökull, an outlet glacier from Vatnajökull the largest glacier in Europe.
It is such a unique experience to be able to stand inside an ancient glacier and the picturesque blue ice will make you feel like you are in a fairytale. The Ice Caves are constantly changing and we can spot changes from day to day. This is truly a unique experience!
Our certified and experienced glacier guides take you on an unforgettable journey into the glacier. You will learn facts about the glacier and the history of the region and get the perfect Instagram photo.
The total duration of the glacier tour is between 3 and 4 hours, with 40-60 minutes inside the ice cave. This glacier tour is easy-moderated and family-friendly. You will not walk on the Glacier during this glacier tour.
Snowmobiling on Vatnajökull Glacier is an extraordinary experience and an adventure not to be missed! This tour is the perfect length for ‘first-time riders’ and individuals looking for a scenic, fun ride, suitable for everyone. Explore and experiencing the wilderness of the glacier, and the breathtaking views.
Two people ride on one snowmobile together, to get a single snowmobile you have to pay supplement charge 11.950 ISK. A valid driver‘s license is needed to operate a snowmobile. Passengers do not need to bring the driver´s licenses.
The duration of the tour is approx 3 hours, including preparations. Snowmobile is 1 hour incl. 2 photo stops.
All glacier trips are taken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not take responsibility for accidents which are caused by their customers or can be traced to their own actions.
The glacier tours are led by local and professional guides to give you a safe and unforgettable experience in the breathtaking Vatnajökull region. The glacier tours start in two separate locations, there is around 15 min drive between the two meeting point (13 km) so make sure to take that into consideration when planning your trip. Please be at our meeting points 20 minutes before departure time.
ICE CAVE MEETING POINT: Our meeting point is located at our Glacier Adventure Base Camp, just a few steps away from Hali Country Hotel. We are located 13 km east of the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and 67 km west of Höfn. We recommend being there at least 20 minutes before departure time.
You will find the Glacier Adventure meeting point on Google Maps here
SNOWMOBILE TOUR MEETING POINT is located at Vagnsstaðir Hostel. We recommend being there at least 15 minutes before departure time. You will find the Glacier Jeeps meeting point on Google Maps here
The Snowmobile Tour is operated by our local friends at Glacier Jeeps. If you need to contact them:
Tel: +354 478-1000 – www.glacierjeeps.is – [email protected]
Disclaimer: Driving in the winter time can take much longer than expected. We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a morning tour. Here you can find accommodation suggestion.
Included in the Ice cave Tour!
- Micro Spikes
- Headlamp if needed
Included in the Snowmobile Tour!
- Balaclava face mask
No matter where you’re going in Iceland, it’s important to choose the right clothing and dress according to weather. We strongly recommend dressing in layers so it is easy to take off or put on layers depending on weather.
- Good waterproof shoes with ankle support (hiking boots )
- Thermal underwear
- Wool/fleece thermal mid-layer
- Hiking pants.
- Waterproof pants & jacket
- Warm Gloves & hat
- Socks (wool or synthetic)
- Small backpack
- Reusable Water-bottle
- Food or Snack for a 6 hour tour (sandwich, chocolate bar, etc.)
- Camera (optional)
You can rent the following equipment for the Glacier Walk tour:
- Hiking boots 1.000 ISK
- Rain gear 1.000 ISK
Glacier Adventure reserves the rights to refuse participation of clients if not dressed according to weather since this will put the clients at risk. In such circumstances no refunds shall be given.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to always keep a 5% payment fee to cover costs for the booking & rescheduling.
- If you must reschedule or cancel the booking, please provide us with 24-hour notice. This way we might be able to resell the seats.
- Cancellations received less than 24 hours before tour departure, will not be refunded. This includes bookings made within 24 hours before departure.
- If clients cancel their tour more than 24 hours before departure, a 95% refund will be given.
- “No Shows” will not be refunded if the client is not on time before the tour departure.
- Glacier Adventure reserves the right to cancel your trip with your safety in mind.
- With short notice, the tours can be canceled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions. In such cases, a 100% refund is provided.
Note: We don’t refund if the client is late or doesn’t show up, or if the weather is not good and the tour is still on schedule. We recommend that participants stay in a hotel or guesthouse close to Hali the night before the tour.