Glacier Walk on Vatnajökull
Includes Super Jeep ride with a glacier trained local guide
In this glacier walk with a local guide from Hali you experience the wonders of Vatnajökull glacier. Our guide takes you on an unforgettable journey on Breiðamerkurjökull, one of Vatnajökull’s biggest outlet glacier. The trip starts at Hali Country Hotel reception, where your guide drives you to the glacier area, away from the crowds and off the beaten path where you can breathe in the fresh Icelandic air.
The tour can take between 3,5 and 4 hours (1 – 1,5 hour on the glacier), including drive back and forth from our pick up location at Hali reception. This tour is moderated and can be done by most children and adults.
Minimum age is 8 years oldRead More
Before we start the drive we need to gear you up. It’s necessary to have the correct footwear for glacier hiking. We’ll have the hiking boots ready for those who have rented such.
After the Super Jeep ride to the glacier area the glacier walk starts with an introduction to the equipment and safety rules needed to explore the glacier. We provide ice crampons and teach you how to attach them to the boots. Crampons make it easy to walk on the ice so that there’s no worry of slipping. Other security items include helmets and ice axes.
We walk through a wonderland of glacial ice sculptures, ridges and the deep crevasses of the glacier. We see big sinkholes, called “Moulin”, that sometimes have drilled their way through the glacier, draining the meltwater of the ice through little waterfalls and streams. The glacier also carries with it ashes of volcanic eruptions, the ash sometimes forms into a pyramid, called “dirt cone”.
In this unique tour you will get the chance to learn about the magnificent glacier, how it is formed and how it continues to change and shape every day
As we walk in the stunning surroundings of Vatnajökull National Park with plenty of unique picture moments our guide takes you through the regions history from the settlement until our times. The tour is intended for those who want to spend half a day outside walking, talking and enjoying the unforgettable landscape in the surroundings of Jökulsárlón.
- Availability: 9:30, 12:30
- Meeting point: Hali Country Hotel reception
- Area: South East Iceland
- Duration: 3 1/2 - 4 hours
- Type: Half day-tour
- Difficulty level: Moderate
- Group min: 2 persons
- Group max: 12 persons
- RENTED EQUIPMENT:
- - Rain gear 1000,- ISK
- - Mountain boots 1000,- ISK
- - Crampons, harness, helmet, ice axe
- - Guided tour with a local
- NEEDED EQUIPMENT:
- - Good shoes (hiking boots if you have them)
- - Good clothing based on weather. 3 layers on top: base layer, light sweater like fleece and water or windproof top. Light warm pants and waterproof if needed.
- - Thin hat and gloves
- - Camera (optional)
Good to have in mind
- Be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time
- We recommend you to stay somewhere close to Hali the night before a morning tour. You can find accommodation suggestion under useful information on our front page
- You can find useful information about the weather at www.vedur.is and the road conditions at www.road.is
Disclaimer: All glacier trips are undertaken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by it´s customers or can be traced to their own actions.
More photos from this tour
Tell Your Friends
What are people saying
A must do!
View reviews on Tripadvisor“One of the highlight of the trip… Fantastic experience!”Lauren
WE ARE AUTHORIZED TOUR OPERATOR
Glacier Adventure has a licence provided by Icelandic tourist board to function as a tour operator.